After some probing and convincing from my dear friend Candace I’ve decided to document my travels here in Taiwan. At first I was reluctant and overwhelmed simply because everything is so foreign and new. It only took a few days in the hospital and some sleepless days and nights to find time to do it. I’ve never written in or read a blog before but thought I should start somewhere and now is just about as good as any other. So here it goes:
Date: Sunday June 6, 2010 Taiwan Time: 11:30am California Time: 8:30pm (Saturday)
Before I begin to divulge into all my amazing and shocking experiences thus far I should probably start with the most obvious and shall I say most critical—my health and stay here in the lovely Qua Tie Hospital in Hsin Chu, Taiwan. About a week ago I got a common cold (or what I thought to be) so I went to the doctor to get some medicine. A few days later I started feeling worse as I had a very high fever and uncontrollable bowel movements (I’ll spare you the juicy details-no pun intended). Everything I ate I threw up……this endless misery and torment continued for three long days until I finally went back to the doctor on Friday. Instead of prescribing me more medication he immediately sent me to the ER to get further testing done. Needless to say I was shocked but a little relieved because I was finally receiving the proper medical attention I needed. There was a slight problem though, I spoke very little Chinese and most of the people here spoke very little English. Luckily I had my good South African friend Japie and Sandy, a Chinese Teacher, accompany me to the hospital. At this point I could barely walk because I was so physically and emotionally drained. All I wanted to do was sleep! They immediately made me strip down and wear a hospital gown (which I’m convinced is the doctors’ way of humiliating their patients) and a mask (which just made breathing more difficult). So I felt completely exposed, exhausted, hungry, and disoriented because people were constantly probing me and asking me all these questions but I had no idea what they were saying. Fortunately for me, I had Sandy translate and I got the gist of what was going on.
Next, the nurses handed me a small cup (you know where this is going) and sent me off to the bathroom to fill it. I tried to explain that this was impossible considering the fact that I had been unable to eat or drink for three days and was severely dehydrated. They wouldn’t listen (or probably understand) my plea and gave me a giant cup of warm (not cold) water to drink to help the process along. It was a fruitless attempt at first but they eventually got their desired prize and a lot more than we both bargained for. After getting all the initial tests and blood work done they sent me to a large room filled with beds and tagged my wrist and assigned me a bed number. Most people who occupied the beds were elderly or really sick, I was one of the lucky ones (or so I thought). Sandy translated to the nurses as they tried (many, many, many) times to find my veins to stick an I.V. in my arm.
At this point I was so delusional and beyond exhaustion I really didn’t care what was going on around me. The nurses gave an estimation of about two or three hours before I would be released to go home. I was so overjoyed I almost cried out—I could endure three more hours of being in a Taiwanese hospital right? After a while, my friends Japie and Sandy left to go to work and they gave me an English speaking nurse whose name was Pepsi (yea like the drink). They gave me medication for my fever and abdominal pain so life was good, real good (Nacho Libre accent)….until…..I started feeling really really sick again. Did I mention that my bed was the farthest away from the bathroom? At first it was controllable and less frequent but soon I was dashing up and running with my I.V. Pole swaying in the air and all these Taiwanese onlookers wondering what was wrong with this mad foreign woman. This continued on for several hours until I finally felt somewhat stable and less queasy.
On my last trip back from the bathroom I passed by an automatic sliding down, I looked over and noticed that it was down pouring pretty hard outside. Just as I was walking by this girl stopped me from outside and motioned to me to come out, I looked around and was like me? She nodded so I hesitantly (and probably stupidly) braved the weather and walked out into the torrential rain. Remember at this point I had just come from the bathroom, had needles and tubes stuck in my arm, a large pole with wheels, a mask, hospital gown, and socks. I know it must have been important that she talked to me so I obliged. When I looked at her I saw the situation—she was in crutches and trying desperately to open her umbrella which was slightly bent from the wind and rain. So I gladly opened her umbrella and sent her on her way (or so I thought). She didn’t speak any English so we were just grunting and motioning to each other. Then she started hobbling away and what could I do but follow right? At this point I was trudging through water, my pants were soaked, I was carrying this ridiculous pole with tubes attached to me, people were probably thinking I was a runaway hospital patient, and this girl was just smiling and appreciative of my nice gesture. Finally, after what seemed like an hour, we arrived in the parking lot where her mom was waiting in the car for her and she waved and then they drove off. Soon I realized the mistake I had made and ran (as quickly as I could with a six foot metal pole on wheels) to the nearest entrance. When I arrived the nurses looked at me like I was a crazy, delusional woman as I desperately tried to explain in English what happened but it was useless. They probably thought that I fell in the bathroom and had an “accident.” They stripped me down again, took my temperature, gave me more medication and sent me off to my bed which is where I wanted to go in the first place!
One benefit about modern medicine is that it makes you feel so happy and warm inside, it took a feel shots, but soon I was like floating on clouds and asleep before I knew it. Later (at this point I had no reference as far as day or time) missionaries from my church came and gave me a Priesthood blessing to help me towards a fast recovery. One of them was Elder Shumway (from St. George, Utah) and the other was Elder Lee from Taiwan. They were really nice and talked to me a while and then administered a blessing to me. Afterwards I felt so calm and happy, I didn’t feel any better physically but what they said I knew to be true and that I need not worry. When they left I drifted off to sleep for a few hours before being woken up to being transferred to an actual room! They assigned me to the thirteenth floor, room nineteen. As we were entering the elevator (at this point I was in a wheelchair with I.V.’s in my arm), I see out of the corner of my eye a guy with a giant red box on his back getting off the elevator. I thought it was weird but I was like whatever I must just be really really tired. Later I found out that what I saw was a delivery boy for McDonalds! And they think that Americans have a problem with fast food and obesity!
The next few days seemed to go by in a blur in a half-conscious state of deliria. I do remember a few things though from those three days of being bed bound. Because I was unable to eat or drink any significant kind of food, I was starving so when they told me I couldn’t eat for a whole day after arriving, my heart sank and I almost cried! But when I did get food I almost preferred starvation. Words could not do justice to hospital food in general and this food was no exception. It especially didn’t help the fact that I had no appetite despite my hunger pains. You will see later by the photos of my wonderful and diverse menu choices….
I also failed to mention that the previous night, they asked me for a culture sample which I gladly surrendered a cup brimming to the top full of (well I need not complete the sentence). An hour or so later they came back with this vial of pinkish liquid (that had my lab result tests written in Chinese of course) and gave it to me, I guess as a souvenir to remember this day by (as if I could ever forget it!) The next event occurred while I was attempting to take an afternoon nap. My curtain was open as I was trying to get a cross breeze from the window. Out of nowhere this male nurse came zooming in with a patient in a wheelchair, got to the end of the room, turned around abruptly and stopped and stared at me, asking how I was. I said fine thanks and then he quickly left. I’m like whatever he probably had the wrong room or something. Then later when I was returning from the bathroom there he was in the hallway just smiling and waving and trying to get my attention. I waved and got back to my bed quickly. Then he came again while my friend Japie was visiting but he just wheeled away looking dejected. I’m sure he was just doing his job and was really nice but it was still kind of a little weird. The last incident was when I went to the nurse to ask for a tampon or pad and she was like “okay, wait here” so I’m waiting for a while and she returns with this gigantic male diaper built for two! I seriously was wondering how I would ever even put that thing on if my life depended on it (no pun intended!) I was resisting the urge not to burst out laughing and explain but she doesn’t understand so I had to write it on a paper and then she translated on it on the computer. Funny but embarrassing story for both of us!
Despite me being sick, I really cannot complain about the medical care or the amazing staff and hospitality of the Taiwanese. The nurses have been so generous and serving, always willing to help in the slightest way even if we cannot communicate with words. I’m just glad to have this ordeal finally over and done with!
After reading my first blog entry, I don’t want to give my readers the impression that I dislike Taiwan or that it’s all been doom and gloom but rather thought I would give them the whole story (the good, the bad, and the ugly). I’ve had some truly amazing and unforgettable experiences here and have grown to appreciate Taiwan’s unique culture and natural beauty.
Wow, you have been through it . . . I will admit I did laugh in reading it, not at your misery but you did make it sound entertaining.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all - SO glad you're ok. Second - Holy cow I'm so excited to come. Third - You make me giggle.
ReplyDeleteOh heather, I have such a hard time actually believing that some of those events are true! But I know that they are....they'd only happen to you! lol. you're amazing. I'm sooo glad you are feeling better, but I'm sorry about the pure exhaustion and sickness, wow :/ I look forward to more posts!!
ReplyDelete